Charcoal burner dies after inhaling toxic gas in Mangochi

By Chisomo Phiri

A 32-year-old Salabadika Kauma has on Monday reported died after inhaling toxic gas known as carbon monoxide while burning charcoal in Namizimu Forest in Mangochi District.

Mangochi Police Station Publicist, Amina Tepani Daudi, confirmed the incident.

Daudi said according to the deceased’s cousin, Kauma, a well-known charcoal burner in the area, went to the forest alone on October 18 2023, to engage in charcoal production and did not return.

“Two days later, his family reported him missing at Katuli Police Unit which initiated a search with the help of members of the community.

“The search continued until October 22, 2023, when his body was discovered some kilometres away from the charcoal burning site,” said Daudi.

A postmortem conducted at Katuli Health Centre revealed that Kauma succumbed to suffocation caused by inhaling carbon monoxide emitted during the charcoal production process.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *