By Staff Reporter
Malawi Human Rights Commission held a farewell dinner in Lilongwe for its outgoing 7th Cohort of Commissioners whose term of office came to an end on 3rd February 2023 at an event patronized by MHRC staff, members of the media,government officials and some development partners.
The Attorney General Honorable Chakaka Nyirenda – who was the Guest of Honor, representing the Minister of Justice- heaped praise on the 7th Cohort of Commissioners for delivering on their mandate. MHRC Executive Secretary Habiba Osman saluted the outgoing Commissioners for the remarkable strides the Commission had registered in investigations, advocacy, research and monitoring during their tenure.
The Outgoing MHRC Chairperson Scader Louis thanked the Secretariat of the Commission, government, the civil society, the media, development partners and the citizens for rendering their support to the 7th Cohort of Commissioners, adding that the gains registered over the past 3 years were a product of collective efforts.
During the event, the Attorney General and the United Nations Country Representative presented certificates to the Outgoing Commissioners. The following is the full list of the Outgoing 7th Cohort:
- Commissioner Scader Louis -Chairperson
- Commissioner Baldwin Chiyamwaka
- Commissioner Dr. Bertha Sefu
- Commissioner Stella Twea
- Commissioner Boniface Massah
- Commissioner Chikondi Chijozi
- Commissioner Dr. Sunduzwayo Madise
- Commissioner Rosemary Kanyuka – who is also a Law Commissioner. NOTE: The Law Commissioner is a Commissioner of MHRC by virtue of holding the position of Law Commissioner.
- Commissioner Grace Malera- who is also the Ombudsman. NOTE: The Ombudsman is a Commissioner of MHRC by virtue of holding the position of Ombudsman